Internal Organizer : New Hampshire
Based in Concord, NH
The State Employees’ Association of NH, SEIU Local 1984 is seeking to fill the permanent position of Internal Organizer.
Location: Concord, NH
Closing Date: September 29, 2017
Starting Salary: $53,106.12
General Statement of Duties
Performs professional duties with regard to recruiting new members, increasing member engagement and the development of worksite leaders. Responsible for organizing and mobilizing workers to participate in the activities of the Association for the purpose of improving the lives of working people, citizens, consumers and to improve our communities and build a more just and humane society. This is a salaried and professional position under the FLSA.
Responsible for taking initiative in developing own schedule and modifications of same as need arises. Performs such other duties as may be required from time to time.
Works under the direct supervision of the Internal Lead Organizer and the general supervision of the Organizing Administrator.
Examples of Duties
- Assists Chapters in the development of chapter leaders and recruitment drives. Works directly with chapter leaders/committees to develop and maintain local recruitment efforts.
- Responsible for membership recruitment, retention and worker orientation.
- Visit worksites, talk to workers at home, identify, develop, train and mentor leaders and activists, hold worker meetings, organize workers around issues in their facilities, assist with actions and other outreach activity.
- Mobilize membership and lead rank and file members to actively participate in worksite actions and activities. Assists with information gathering, issue development, and long-term planning of internal organizing efforts and assists members in organizing around issues, for example coordinating petition signing, letter writing, and/or picketing efforts.
- Works with Chapter Leaders to create structures that give members effective ways to access, develop and engage in the Association’s programs.
- Plan, create and follow-through on organizing work plans and participate with other organizing staff in team planning, implementation and evaluation of same.
- Assists in coordinating collective bargaining activities assists, as needed, in negotiations, planning and implementation of contract campaigns. Participates in the training of bargaining teams.
- Assist in the assessment and need for, and work with the External Lead Organizer to develop programs and promotional material by issue and occupation.
- Occasionally drafts articles for publication
- Attends Chapter and Committee meetings as assigned.
- Makes oral presentations to groups of varying size and composition
Desired Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or four years’ experience in a responsible position or any equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Must possess sound interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written, appropriate to providing a quality member experience including the ability to establish and cultivate respectful relationships.
- Must be able to present a good image and to communicate effectively with all levels of public and private sector.
- Ability to manage and prioritize work subject to deadlines in a dynamic and changing environment, as an individual, and as a member of a team.
- Ability to lead, and motivate and inspire workers.
- Knowledge of organizing data base management tools such as VAN or other similar applications.
- Knowledge of issues of workers and workplace, labor and political issues.
- Willingness to work irregular and long hours and attend required evening and weekend meetings.
- Requires an insured, registered vehicle and a valid driver’s license
Benefits: Health and dental benefits for employee, eligible dependents, and spouse, 401 (k), generous leave policy, 10 paid holidays.
Please Send Resume to:
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com