Health and Welfare Consultant : District of Columbia
Laborers’ Health & Safety Fund of North America
Health and Welfare Consultant
Location: Washington, DC
Job Type: Full-time
Organization: The Laborers’ Health & Safety Fund of North America (LHSFNA) is a nonprofit joint labor-management trust fund. We are dedicated to enhancing jobsite health and safety, bolstering the health of Laborers and their families, strengthening the health benefit services of LIUNA health & welfare funds, boosting the competitiveness of LIUNA signatory employers and supporting the Laborers’ International Union of North America (LIUNA). The work environment is an office setting and normal office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Estimated 15% overnight domestic travel is required with occasional weekend hours.
The Position: This position is responsible for supporting and providing technical assistance, on behalf of the LHSFNA, to LIUNA health and welfare funds to ensure the continued provision of comprehensive programs at an affordable cost.
The position requires knowledge of:
- Execution (preparation) of request for proposals (RFP)
- Evaluation of request for proposals and selection of service providers
- Vendor negotiation
- Health care systems
- The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) and other state and federal actions as they apply to Taft Hartley plans
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the in-house expert on programs related to LIUNA Taft-Hartley health and welfare funds such as PBMs and stop loss insurance.
- Implement a strategic plan to work with LIUNA health and welfare funds.
- Build relationships with LIUNA health and welfare fund administrators and key personnel.
- Provide technical support and assistance to LIUNA health and welfare funds and signatory employers.
- At the request of fund trustees, work with fund professionals to develop and evaluate RFPs for specific services and vendors.
- Work with fund administrators/consultants/trustees as requested to revise and update existing benefits as well as implement new benefits.
- Work with vendors to ensure contract compliance on pricing and administrative issues.
- Respond to and resolve funds’ issues related to the administration of programs.
- Work on marketing initiatives to secure new participants.
- Review and renegotiate the terms of existing contracts to ensure that funds have the most favorable pricing.
- Monitor the PPACA and other legislative initiatives that may impact LIUNA health and welfare funds.
- Maintain a strong knowledge of current rules, regulations, and laws issued by federal, state and local agencies; review and evaluate legislative changes in legal requirements that may impact LIUNA health and welfare funds and affiliates.
- Conduct benchmark comparisons for various benefit programs.
- Lead the development and presentation of educational programs and materials related to products that benefit health and welfare funds.
- Represent the Fund at meetings, functions and professional organizations as appropriate.
- Work with Division staff to develop materials to meet the directives and objectives of the Fund, as well as interacting with affiliated union bodies (regions, district councils and locals), training centers, health and welfare funds and membership in promoting and advancing Fund initiatives and Division programs.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in health care management and/or certification as a Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS).
- At least 3-5 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Specific experience working in the construction industry and dealing with labor organizations is highly desirable. Knowledge of Taft-Hartley funds, ERISA and COBRA is helpful.
- Experience using social media and technology in a professional work setting.
- Experience conducting presentations in both a classroom and large scale setting.
- Excellent communication, technical, writing and research skills.
- Project management skills with an ability to work on various projects simultaneously and prioritize tasks.
- Highly motivated, self starter.
- Detail oriented.
- Overnight travel expected.
Benefits: This position includes an excellent salary (commensurate with experience) and benefits package including health, vision and dental insurance, pension, 401K and vacation leave.
EOE / Veteran/ Disability/ Gender (M-F)/ Gender Identity/ Sexual Orientation
Interested parties should submit a resume and cover letter outlining your salary requirements and explaining why you would be a good addition to our team and mission. Please e-mail this to Jamie Becker, Director, Health Promotion, at Jamie@LHSFNA.org.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com