Organizer : Michigan
SEIU Healthcare Minnesota is a union representing 35,000 health care workers who have united to build strong communities, a health care system that works for everyone, and to reclaim the American Dream. We are seeking a qualified candidate who wants to be a part an exciting, active and creative labor union.
This is a full time position through December 2018. The Central MN Organizer will prepare SEIU members in Saint Cloud and surrounding communities to powerfully engage in large-scale mobilization and civic engagement efforts during the 2018 political season. SEIU members provide front-line care in hospitals, long-term care centers and in the homes of people with disabilities. The Central MN Organizer will activate union members, primarily home care workers, in a series of racial and economic justice campaigns to hold corporations accountable, advance our narrative, and change the political landscape. The work will include grassroots outreach, developing leaders and teams, aligning campaigns with community partners, and mobilizing a mass civic engagement effort ahead of the November 2018 election. Candidates must be up to the challenge of building transformational relationships with leaders across differences in race, class and ability. Significant evening and weekend work will be required.
The Central MN Organizer will:
- Visit home care workers door-to-door to invite them to join SEIU
- Identify, recruit, train, and develop member-leaders
- Participate in grassroots listening campaigns and canvases
- Train members to lead house meetings, listening campaigns, direct actions, and civic engagement programs
- Build transformational relationships among leaders across differences in race, class, gender and ability
- Develop relationships with community partners and work collaboratively with them and SEIU’s Greater MN Lead Organizer to create infrastructure for collective agenda setting, issue campaigns, and civic engagement efforts
- Support in the development of strategic communications plans and prepare leaders to share powerful stories to advance our narrative
- Coordinate logistics, collect and manage data, and keep accurate records
- Attend meetings and respond to requests as directed
- Meet regularly with the SEIU Greater MN Lead Organizer and with other Greater MN Organizers to trouble shoot and solve problems in real time
- Other responsibilities as may be assigned to meet the needs of the Local
- Resides in Saint Cloud or Central Minnesota and is able to travel regularly throughout the region. Additional travel throughout Greater MN is also required. Travel will include overnight stays.
- Must be able to work long hours, irregular schedules, including evenings and weekend
- Previous union or community organizing experience is required.
- Candidates who speak Spanish or Somali are preferred.
- Candidates must have a passion for social justice and grassroots organizing as a means of social change.
- Experience working with people from widely varying ethnic, social, economic and political groups
- Good listening skills; able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Excellent group facilitation skills
- Able to manage conflict, work with complex information and work under pressure
- A demonstrated ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Able to function in computerized environment, including working knowledge of Word, Excel, Email, Internet and campaign-related databases
- Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle in good working condition. Must have proof of auto insurance.
- High School Diploma or GED, Secondary Education preferred.
Wages and benefits subject to existing policies and procedures, starting in the upper $40,000s.
Qualified Applicants may send resume and cover letter to SEIU Healthcare MN EVP Phillip Cryan at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 651-294-8200
Application deadline: August 28, 2017
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com