State Director : Arizona, California, Nevada, Oregon
Based in Las Vegas, NV
Summary: Make the Road and the Center for Popular Democracy seek a motivated and talented State Director to build a new organization to join the fight for respect and dignity in the Nevada.
Make the Road and the Center for Popular Democracy are partnering to build a new organization in Nevada. The organization, Make the Road Nevada, will replicate and adapt the core Make the Road model to build power in Latino communities and beyond for working people and immigrants across the Battle Born State. The initial phases of the project will focus on Las Vegas.
Center for Popular Democracy – The Center for Popular Democracy/CPD Action builds organizing power and transforms the local, state, and national policy landscape through deep, long-term partnerships with leading community organizing groups and labor unions nationwide. CPD/CPDA collaborates with partners to build their internal strength, infrastructure and capacity – and to envision, run, and win campaigns to move a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial justice agenda at the city and state level.
Make the Road – The Make the Road family of organizations builds the power of Latino and working-class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services. The anchor organization, Make the Road New York, has 21,000 members and operates four community centers across New York, where it has worked for almost 20 years. Make the Road has successfully replicated their model in Pennsylvania, Connecticut and New Jersey, where after less than three years new state level organizations are building active memberships and playing critical leadership roles in the organizing and policy landscape.
Make the Road and the Center for Popular Democracy seek to hire a State Director to lead our work in the state and lead the construction of this new organization. The State Director will be the primary representative of Make the Road in Nevada, and responsible for all aspects of building and managing the organization. Specifically, the responsibilities are:
- Hire and manage a team of 3-5 employees;
- Develop a neighborhood canvass of 5-15 people to identify issues and potential members;
- Develop leaders from target neighborhoods who share Make the Road’s mission and values;
- Identify local issues and turn them into winnable campaigns;
- Identify opportunities for Make the Road to be a value add to the progressive organizing landscape in Las Vegas and Nevada to win bigger collective victories and build collective power;
- Represent Make the Road in campaign spaces and with allies in the state and around the country;
- Manage the organization’s communications strategy in earned and social media that elevates members voices and stories around the issues we work on;
- Develop the political consciousness of members through workshops, individual meetings, and sustained engagement;
- Identify and pursue funding opportunities and ensure Make the Road Nevada meets requirements and deadlines.
The person will receive substantial support and coaching from a deep and experienced team of organizers and directors from across the Make the Road family and the CPD network.
This person must have the tenacity and vision to build an organization from the ground up. We believe the following are requirements the person needs to be successful:
- At least seven years of experience doing community or labor organizing or similar work;
- Experience with policy campaigns around immigration and workers’ rights is especially preferred, but also in the areas of housing, education, youth organizing, or LGBTQ organizing;
- Belief that community organizing is a powerful and effective tool to make change;
- The ability to move people to action;
- A strong desire to listen and develop others’ leadership;
- An understanding of the political and organizational landscape of Nevada and Las Vegas is preferred;
- The ability to communicate both written and verbally in Spanish and English;
- The ability to work on your own in flexible and potentially fast paced circumstances.
Benefits and Salary
Competitive annual salary depending on relevant work experience, education, and other factors. CPD offers a generous benefit package including health insurance and 401K.
Please send a resume and cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications for the position to Daniel.Coates@maketheroadregional.org.
Make the Road and CPD are equal opportunity employers. Women, LGBTQ people and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com