External Organizers : California
SEIU Committee of Interns and Residents (CIR)
External Organizer Positions
Bay Area, California
The Committee of Interns and Residents, the largest resident physicians’ union in the country, is looking for outgoing, energetic, and intellectually curious candidates to fill organizer positions based in the Bay Area, California. Organizers are responsible for a variety of aspects of a campaign, including: building relationships with workers, developing issue-based organizing plans for assigned areas, and recruiting and sustaining motivation of organizing committee members and activists.
CIR is a nationwide, progressive, member-driven healthcare union representing 14,000 resident physicians. Our vision is to be the national voice for interns, residents and fellows. We empower physicians-in-training to fight for excellence for our patients, our training and our healthcare system through organizing, collective bargaining and advocacy.
CIR is committed to the growth of the organization through strategic organizing campaigns. To accomplish this, we need highly driven and committed individuals.
Key responsibilities include:
- Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to non-union workers.
- Building one-on-one relationships with workers.
- Identifying, recruiting and developing worker leaders.
- Conducting individual and group meetings with workers.
- Engaging, motivating and mobilizing workers to take action.
- Planning and executing actions and events to support worker organizing efforts.
CIR is looking for candidates who have:
- Ability to meet deadlines and juggle a large workload in a fast-paced campaign environment.
- 2-3 years of organizing experience in the labor movement, ideally working with professionals (preferred).
- Strong ability to connect with highly educated professionals of varying backgrounds in pursuit of a common goal.
- Ability to work independently while also being able to incorporate constructive feedback and direction from campaign leadership.
- An independent and critical thinker with the ability to learn and understand complex issues quickly.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours.
- Ability to travel throughout the country frequently and for long periods of time.
- Valid Driver’s License.
What you gain from a position with CIR:
- Engagement with physicians on issues related to improving the quality of healthcare, health disparities and better working conditions.
- Opportunity to work directly with physicians-in-training, gaining an understanding of their experience as front line providers in a hospital setting.
- Opportunity to work with a tight-knit team of organizers, communications, research, legal, political and contract staff.
- Opportunity to develop skills in public speaking, healthcare economics, strategic research and campaign execution.
- Competitive starting salary: $54,000-$82,000; commensurate with experience
- Excellent benefits package: health, dental, vision, car allowance, disability, 401(k), pension plan and paid sick/vacation time.
In addition to a resume, we require a cover letter that gives us a clear picture of who you are, and why you want to be an organizer at CIR. Make us want to pick up the phone and call you in for an interview! Please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line: New Organizer Position.
CIR is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants. Please visit our website for more information: www.cirseiu.org
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com