Organizing Director : Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands
United for Respect
May be worked from anywhere in the United States (remote)
United for Respect is a national organization building the voice of people working for the country’s largest corporations. Through scaled leadership development and base-building, UFR’s growing network is challenging major corporations and policymakers to provide family‐sustaining jobs for all working people. We leverage technology — social media, relational tools, and our digital platform, WorkIt — and bring the workforce into a shared community of support and advocacy.
As our Organizing Director, you will be leading our organizing work nationally and across key states where we are advocating for the rights of people working in retail, warehousing, and logistics jobs. The Organizing Director will work with a talented organizing team to build a scaled worker organizing program that advances high impact worker-driven campaigns across the retail sector. United for Respect deploys an online to field model that leverages digital tools to reach workers, build communities of support, and move people to action.
Reporting to our Executive Director, the Organizing Director will supervise Deputy Organizing Directors, Senior Organizers and lead organizers.
What You’ll Be Doing:
As the Organizing Director, you will be responsible for:
Organizing Program Development:
- Develop and manage an integrated, robust organizing and leadership development program across multiple employers, campaigns and program areas nationally and in key states through UFR’s online to field organizing model
- Build a program that grows through workers organizing their peers, specifically integrating organizing skills building, setting up the infrastructure for members to organize to scale, and launching an organizer-in-training and member volunteer organizer program
- Oversee a comprehensive organizing and leadership development program focused on building power and winning change in workplaces, corporations, states, and across the retail sector
- Train organizers and leads in online to field organizing through direct field support, weekly coaching session by phone, and developing and providing trainings for worker organizers
- Work with the Digital Director to integrate online organizing strategies nationally and with our field partners to support worker outreach, engagement, and leadership development
- Work with Communications Director to identify and develop public leaders, and successfully integrate story-based strategy into the leadership development program
- Implement strong field metrics, data management systems and workflow to create an effective and efficient organizing program
- This position will involve extensive travel once it is safe to travel again
Working With Campaigns:
- Coordinating with senior staff (Directors) in other departments (Corporate Accountability, Comms, Politics & Policy, and Digital) to build and drive comprehensive campaigns that amplifies worker organizing
- Advance national and local worker-driven campaigns to raise standards in the retail sector and raise awareness about the challenges people face in low wage retail jobs
- Build a scaled story collection and spokespeople development program that supports our campaigns
- Collaborate with partners to organize national days of action, support our campaigns and offer UFR support to the broader progressive movement
What You’ll Bring:
- Minimum 5 years management experience running a worker organizing team
- Minimum 10 years organizing campaign experience including in a campaign leadership capacity
- Significant background in leading successful online to offline field programs and strong working knowledge of best practices in digital organizing and labor or community organizing model
- Use of a Race Equity Lens when managing all aspects of you and your team’s work, how it fits into the movement and the organizational culture, embedding it into the DNA of UFR’s work
- Experience identifying and recruiting members and leaders in worker organizing campaigns
- Strong writing, research, and communication skills
- Strong listening, persuasion, facilitation and interpersonal skills
- Excellent self management skills, with the ability to work independently
- Strong database management skills that help to scale the program and inform analysis of the base and strategy
- Ability to relate to and work with diverse groups of people as well as an understanding of the daily challenges faced by low-income communities of color
- Familiarity with digital strategies and online to offline organizing
- Ability to work varied hours including nights, weekends and holidays
- Must have a car and be able to drive and maintain a valid driver’s license, and travel as needed on a regular basis
We’re Excited About You Because You:
- Have a vision for a powerful renewal of the labor movement driven by a commitment to grassroots worker power and the leadership of working class people to define our own destiny. you want to challenge racial capitalism and build a powerful multiracial movement that can win material gains for the working class and shift the dynamics of power in our country
- Possess significant organizing experience focused around the labor movement and the issues that face persons of color and women in our space
- Have a proven track record and capability to lead teams and cross-departmental initiatives
- Demonstrate a high level of proficiency in managing execution of large-scale, worker driven corporate and policy campaigns
- Utilize a values-based approach when describing strategy
- Embrace technology as an enabler to help you get your job done and to collaborate in a culture that promotes passion in technology
Location: National (remote).
Salary range: $85,000 to $120,000 dependent on experience and location.
UFR is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to equity. People of color, women, and LGBTQIA+ candidates are encouraged to apply.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please apply HERE.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com