Deputy Director – Organization & Field Services Department : District of Columbia
American Federation of Teachers
Organization & Field Services Department
Based in Washington, DC
(requires extensive out-of-town-travel)
Supervisor: Directors, Organization & Field Services
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the directors of organization and field services, the Deputy Director will be responsible, in collaboration with the AFT regional directors, for coordinating campaigns, developing organizing strategies, oversight of confidential matters and other responsibilities as assigned.
- Coordinate campaigns and assistance for Locals/States in Crisis for all AFT regions.
- Supervise and direct organizing campaigns, collective bargaining election campaigns, strikes, contract negotiations, as well as other field activities on behalf of the national union.
- Supervise and direct the on-site work of staff, including national representatives.
- Assist affiliates with capacity building in all areas of union activity.
- Work to ensure application and utilization of the AFT Organizing Model to all forms of union activity.
- Facilitate improved relations between AFT state federations and locals, and state and local AFL-CIO central bodies, by working with the AFL-CIO department of field mobilization staff.
- Make presentations to affiliates and other groups regarding AFT campaigns.
Primary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Substantial experience and ability to direct staff, including but not limited to coordination and direction of communications, political action, and labor education activities.
- Experience in union activities at various organizational levels.
- Familiarity with issues facing AFT members.
- Applicants must have a demonstrated record of excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven ability to work in a professional and collegial manner.
- Knowledge of AFT and familiarity with AFT local and state federation structure is a plus.
- Prior experience conducting leadership training programs is desirable.
- The work requires extensive out-of-town travel.
How to Apply: Applicants should submit a cover letter and résumé to the director of human resources via the following link: https://www.appone.com/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=3070130.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. AFT is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from women, people of color, individuals with disabilities and veterans. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com