LA Project Organizer : California
LA Project Organizer
Based in Los Angeles, CA
What we’re seeking:
The American Federation of Teachers (AFT), in partnership with California Federation of Teachers (CFT), California Teachers Association (CTA), National Education Association (NEA) and United Teachers Los Angeles (UTLA) seeks an Organizer to work on organizing campaigns to bring the benefits of union organization to currently unorganized teachers and other certificated staff in Los Angeles, California, The successful candidate must be committed to building union organization amongst educators.
The Organizer will be part of the organizing team and will help identify and work with educators to unionize their schools. This includes but is not limited to: contacting and meeting with unorganized educators’ offsite, at home and at school as appropriate, identifying issues and leaders, recruiting and training leaders, working with community and parents as appropriate, developing weekly and monthly plans based on overall campaign goals. This is not a 9 to 5 job- it requires long and varied hours, including early morning, evening and weekend work, as necessary. Teaching experience and bi-lingual English and Spanish language skills preferred. This position will be based in Los Angeles, California.
- Be a skilled, experienced organizer, ideally with 2 years or more of organizing experience in the labor movement, organizing experience in education and/ or with comparable professionals
- Have strong interpersonal skills, including effective listening, oral and written communication skills,
- Have demonstrated ability to lead and motivate workers
- Be self-motivated, responsible, organized, professional and detail-oriented
- Be able to work independently and as part of a team. Must be able to take direction from campaign leadership
- Be deeply committed to improving educators’ lives and building a strong member-run union
- Be familiar with education policy and issues
- Have basic computer skills including Microsoft office, data base systems and social media
The candidate must:
- Have a valid driver’s license and properly registered vehicle
Pay and benefits:
Salary negotiable, based upon experience. Benefits include health insurance and retirement, vacation and sick leave as well as auto, travel and expense reimbursements.
Please submit your cover letter/résumé and two reference letters by Wednesday, September 18 at the link below –
Equal Opportunity Employer and all are encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com