Center for Popular Democracy – Fair Workweek Initiative
National Campaign Director
Preferably based in Brooklyn, NY
Location: Work remotely or from our offices in Brooklyn or DC.
Join the next wave in the movement for economic justice in America.
Across the country, workers in growing sectors like retail, food service, and healthcare struggle with unpredictable schedules with fluctuating part-time hours that wreak havoc on their lives and cause economic insecurity. The Center for Popular Democracy’s Fair Workweek Initiative (FWI) seeks a Campaign Director to drive national field and digital campaigns to improve scheduling standards in low-wage sectors for hourly workers.
About The Center for Popular Democracy
CPD promotes equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy in partnership with innovative base-building organizations, organizing networks and alliances, and progressive unions across the country. CPD builds the strength and capacity of democratic organizations to envision and advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial justice agenda. Learn more at: www.populardemocracy.org.
About The Fair Workweek Initiative
Anchored by the CPD and CPD Action, the FWI is driving the growing momentum to restore a workweek that enables working families to thrive. We are committed to elevating the voices of working people to ensure they shape the solutions that work for their families – through improved industry practices or workplace protections. Learn more at: www.fairworkweek.org.
The Campaign Director will develop and drive campaign strategy to raise scheduling standards across the service sector through corporate engagement strategies, worker leadership development, and workforce development programming. The Campaign Director will supervise a Program Manager who will oversee the workforce development and employer engagement programs. The Director will play a hands-on role with CPD partner organizations, implement worker-driven campaign strategies, and partner with employers interested in our High Road Workweek Pledge. The Campaign Director will report to the Director of the Fair Workweek Initiative. Duties will include:
- Developing worker-driven campaigns to compel industry-wide scheduling reforms and recruit forward-thinking employers to join the High Road Workweek Partnership, which works with employers to implement improved scheduling standards;
- Working with partners to implement scaled worker-driven campaigns, provide staff training and support, and worker leadership development
- Collaboration with communications and digital teams to drive innovative, creative digital organizing and communications strategies
- Providing the infrastructure for grassroots groups to collaborate, coordinate strategies, organize national days of action, and convene national committee calls and meetings of member leaders;
- Working with the Deputy Director of policy campaigns to provide support to the coalition, political, and media work related to policy campaigns where partners are also engaged in worker organizing.
- Providing capacity-building support to partners, including developing campaign tools; providing digital and communications technical assistance; and trainings;
- Engaging and developing the leadership of workers to drive corporate accountability campaigns and build sustainable worker networks;
- Collaborating with the Director on fundraising efforts to support the national program and re-grant resources to partners in the field.
- Supervise the Program Manager and provide guidance on achieving programmatic and campaigning goals as well as maintaining partnerships related to the workforce development program and employer engagement.
We seek outcome-driven candidates with excellent relationship-building skills. Ideal candidates should have demonstrated experience in the following:
- 8-10 years of relevant campaign experience, including 5 years of managerial-level experience on worker or community organizing campaigns, developing grassroots leadership and building worker committees, coalition-building, and
- Experience utilizing comprehensive campaign strategies to drive campaigns.
- A strong commitment to social justice and an understanding of challenges facing caregivers, communities of color, and low-and moderate-income families;
- Extensive experience supervision and navigating organizational partnerships;
- A track record of developing and maintaining strong working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders;
- Experience managing multiple projects and ability to coordinate with partners on digital campaigning, earned media, and joint campaign projects in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong writing skills for public education, digital organizing, and earned media;
- Experience with earned media, social media, multimedia and/or creative communications strategies;
- Foundation and other fundraising experience.
Generous salary and benefits package, depending on experience.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.